Sunday, 8 February 2009

Burglars!

I apologise for my exclamation mark habit but it's quite justified in this post title, I promise :-) 
The past two nights I've had my sleep broken by a prowler in the garden, rifling through sheds. I hasten to add that I'm not at home in my corner of the Highlands (where people still leave their houses and cars unlocked), but in the crime-ridden south of England, staying with my parents-in-law.

On both occasions my four legged burglar alarms scared off the intruders with their blood curdling growls (fortunately they sound big and ferocious even though they're not either). As it happens a neighbour had his house broken into and car stolen a bit further down the street, so I'm quite glad my furry intruder alarms are being hyper-vigilant. After two disturbed nights I'm shattered though and will be glad to get back home (even though I'm being spoiled with central heating here :-) 

You'd think thick snow on the ground would deter a would-be burglar - his foot prints are totally visible this morning. Now, my rudimentary reading of Enid Blyton tells me I just need to go out with my ruler and the mystery will be solved ;-)
Either the prowler(s) is/are very stupid or they know the police really aren't going to bother...

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

That's quite scary. I hate noises in the night at the best of times, but when you know it's burglars...yikes.

Don't be tempted to go out - with or without your ruler. Stay inside where it's warm and let your four legged friends frighten the baddies away.

Joanne Cleary said...

Oh no, that's terrible Lorraine. I would have been petrified. If I hear any noises I tend to pull the covers over my head and convince myself it will just go away.

I constantly fall asleep on my sofa and 3 of my neighbours have had their sheds burgled while I've been laying there, probably in full view of the baddies!!

Jackie Ashenden said...

Yuck, Lorraine! Thank God for the dogs huh?