Monday 9 March 2009

Small Successes

I had an email this morning from a magazine bod saying they want to use a 'filler' I sent them. They won't be publishing it until Christmas but I feel disproportionately thrilled by my first magazine filler success. :-)
Silly really but hey, it's nice to have SOMETHING to counter all the R's I've had recently :-)

A big thanks to Suzanne who steered me in this direction and to Womagwriter who has such useful resources on her blog. I've heard that the UK's weekly magazine market pays out £250,000 each week to contributors so I'd say it's definitely worth having a go at fillers, if you have a spare ten minutes...

6 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Yay you. Congratulations - that's great news. Not at all silly to be thrilled. I'm also thrilled for you.

What magazine? And will you remind us nearer the time so we can buy a copy?

Interesting about the £250K - I hadn't heard that before.

:-)

Jackie Ashenden said...

Hey, that's FANTASTIC Lorraine! Being paid for your writing is success however you look at it. But tell, me what is a filler?? I know nothing about magazine publishing...

Joanne Coles said...

Lorraine - HUGE congrats. That's brilliant. You have something to put in the 'income' part of your tax return, always something to be proud of. :-)

Suzanne is right - we all want to know which magazine and when so we can see your name in print.

Rachael Johns said...

Great news Lorraine!!!

Lacey Devlin said...

Congrats Lorraine!

I don't think there's such a thing as being TOO thrilled about seeing your work in print and knowing that people are reading it :)

Lorraine said...

Thanks guys. I asked magazine bod if she would let me know which issue and she said she would... But hopefully you'll all have forgotten by then :-)

Wish I could remember where the 250 K statistic came from but can't, sorry!

I would classify 'fillers' as anything short of a proper article (don't know if that's the proper definition though) - so they can be letters, photos with captions, readers' tips, wise words, funny anecdotes, longer anecdotes about family... The list goes on. The Family section of the Guardian on Saturday has several opportunities for readers' submissions and can be from 500 - 1000 words.