Monday 30 March 2009

A Shock to the System


I am finally home (later than advertised) but my body is in shock. When we left the south of England  spring had definitely sprung and shorts had even made an appearance (not on me, I hasten to add). 600 miles and 12 hours later and we were driving through thick snow and the car's temperature gauge was reading minus 5 - this on the day the clocks were going forward for British Summer Time. Um hello? Summer? The snow in the garden has melted today but even so...

The dogs are looking round at the bare concrete floors and wishing they hadn't left their winter coats all over the PIL's nice carpets and the part whippet is shivering reproachfully as if to ask why we haven't got any of those nice warm white things on the walls like the PIL.

Good question (I grew rather fond of them myself) and one I intend to ask the husband only he has disappeared to the airport to fly south already, faster than I can say 'So whose idea was it to buy a renovation project again?'

In the mean time I have moved my computer next to the Aga (only source of heat) and am planning on staying in the kitchen until Spring follows me up to the Highlands.

I promise a more writery post once I've acclimatised. 

P.S. Oh but it is nice to be home at last, being cold aside :-) 

6 comments:

Rachael Johns said...

Haha - you had me in giggles! Enjoy the Aga! Just starting to get cold down under... but am guessing, no where near as cold as you are!!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I'm fed up being cold too. On the bright side, it can only get warmer (I hope).

Welcome home.

:-)

Felicity Roger said...

I love the snow. At least I do when it first arrives. Not so much fun when you are expecting summer though. I gather you are somewhere in the north of England, which means, those two days of summer you were expecting are likely to be delayed.

Jackie Ashenden said...

Yay to be home!! I wish I had an Aga. Though really, I can't complain. We don't even get snow in winter in Auckland.

Lorraine said...

Rachael - thanks. I'm guessing it doesn't get as cold where you are - we were told the temperature went down to minus 18 c while we were away. I think I might have moved ONTO the Aga if I'd been here then!

Suzanne - thanks. We drove through your neck of the woods on the way up. I remember lots of snow in April last year so I'm not holding my breath...

Felicity - North of Scotland actually so you can take your estimate for summer down to one day!

Jackie - yes, I do love my Aga and am quite happy to live in the kitchen really :-)

Joanne Coles said...

I've always wanted an Aga, I remember reading lots of Jilly Cooper books when I was younger and they all had agas. They seem quite romantic to me and I had it in my head that all the posh country people had them! :-)