Thursday 2 April 2009

New Writers' Scheme Report

I've finally got that feedback I've been desperate for :-) 

The Reader does say some really nice things (and the words 'dim and muddled' did not appear!!!) that have really encouraged me and her comments about the problems with the story are gold dust. In fact so much of it is really useful that I'm going to do a couple more posts about the points she raises, both to consolidate them in my own mind and for anyone else who might be interested.

But before I think about the problems I'm going to enjoy the nice comments -

"I enjoyed reading your story a great deal. You have a fluid, easy to read writing style, a fantastic grasp of dialogue and a fabulous 'voice' which is fresh, sharply witty and very distinctive. Your voice is the one fundamental thing about your writing that can not be learned and is hard to change, so having one that is going to catch an editor or agent's eye (and I believe yours will) is worth its weight in gold. I loved your opening which I found hooky and instantly engaging. I also liked your heroine's sassiness and felt she had a strong internal conflict and while your hero was a bit more problematic I did enjoy his sense of humour, too"

After this did follow twelve pages of things that need work (gulp) but all extremely valid and very useful points that I can apply to my newer WIPs...

At the end my Reader says "I've put a lot of time and effort into this report because I think you as a writer have a great deal of potential and talent. Everything else, frankly, is just nuts and bolts"

:-)

9 comments:

Lucy King said...

Oh my, what a fabulous report! It sounds like we'll be reading the story before too long :)

Jackie Ashenden said...

I didn't want to say I told you so but...I told you so. :-) Your writing IS fab, Lorraine and the reader is right, everything else is just nuts and bolts.
Congrats on the report!! And what fantastic comments. Great going mate. :-)

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Great news Lorraine. Congratulations and well done.

:-)

Lorraine said...

Lucy - Thanks :-) I'm not sure anyone will be reading the story as there is so much to change in it I'm tempted to carry on with my WIPs (which I think might be better 'fits' for M&B). That's not to say I won't be doing a re-write at a later date...

Jackie - Ah, but I thought you were just being nice to me :-)

Suzanne - Thanks, I'm glad I took the plunge, it was well worth the money. Good luck with your own entry to the scheme.

Rachael Johns said...

Yay Lorraine - sounds like you have some fantastic feedback and a very positive report. Can't wait to hear more!!

Rach!

Joanne Coles said...

Oh Lorraine, what a lovely report. The comments made by the reader are fantastic. YOU CAN DO IT!! Yes, I'm shouting but it's because I am so excited for you. Huge hugs, hope you have a good bottle of wine in for this evening. Celebrate, you deserve to. :-)

Romy Sommer said...

Wow - what great feedback! 12 pages when the usual is about 5 - she must have really seen something worth investing the effort in!

Lacey Devlin said...

I'm so thrilled for you! I say photocopy and blow up the praise and wallpaper your house :) It won't be long now!!! :) :) :)

Lorraine said...

Thanks :-) I shall definitely need to drag out the nice comments next time I'm feeling fed up with the process, which knowing me will be about, ooh five minutes time ;-)

Now it's time to get back down to earth and look at the things I got wrong...